I am not really into cereal with milk in the morning, but dunking this baby in a glass of cold fresh milk is a whole different story. I had my first ever cornflakes cookie earlier this winter in a cafe in Toronto and was hooked on making them ever since. Little did I know that cornflakes cookies have been around since 1970s. In today's world, thanks to our ever growing variety of flours and sugars, every home cook can play with different combinations to suit their dietary preferences and create their desired results. So play around and even get your kids into it!
The below recipe includes coconut flour and cornstarch to produce incredibly crumbly and tender cookies, so if you are after a more crunchy bite, feel free to substitute coconut flour with a half cup of plain flour or bread flour and leave out the cornstarch. Longer baking time will also produce a crunchier cookie. Additionally, you can sub brown sugar for white sugar for a more blond, less chewy version of the same cookie. Add a pinch of coarse sea salt for that extra crunch and contrasting savoriness. You can even experiment with mixing several kinds of cereals like rice cereals!
|Now, get baking, and get ready to curl up with a glass of milk and a book!|
1 cup plain flour
3/4 cup coconut flour
1 cup + 1 cup cornflakes, lightly crushed by hand
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of coarse sea salt
7/8 cup (200g) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2. In a mixing bowl sieve together the flours, cornstarch and baking soda. Mix in salts and 1 cup of cornflakes.
3. In a separate bowl, use electric beaters to beat the butter and sugars until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Pour this wet mixture into the flour mixture and fold to combine.
4. Place the remaining cornflakes in a bowl. Spoon slightly heaped tablespoonfuls of the cookie dough into the cornflakes. Toss gently in the cornflakes to coat and form balls.
5. Drop the dough balls onto the parchment lined baking sheet, spacing at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. For best results let the cookies cool for 10 minutes before attacking. Repeat this step until you are out of dough.
Note: Just like cereal in milk, once mixed into the dough the cornflakes can quickly go soggy. If you enjoy working slow in the kitchen (like me), or have a small oven that can only handle a half dozen of cookies at a time (like me), reserve more cornflakes to be used as sprinkles instead of mixing into the dough in step 2.
低筋麵粉 125 克
純椰子粉 85 克 （可用 60 克 低筋麵粉取替）
玉米片 60 克（分半，並用手輕輕壓碎）
粟粉 2 茶匙
蘇打粉 1/2 茶匙
幼鹽 3/4 茶匙
牛油 200 克 （室溫）
紅糖 220 克
砂糖 50 克
香草精 1 茶匙
雞蛋 2 隻
1. 預熱焗爐至 190C / 375F。
6. 把麵團揉成圓球狀，再沾上玉米碎片，然後排放在鋪了烘培紙的焗盤上。注意每球分隔約 2 吋讓其有充足空間擴大。
7. 放入焗爐焗約 12-15 分鐘至金黃色。略涼約 10 分鐘後可馬上享用！