So dig out the ripe kimchi that has been forgotten in the back of your cooler and some day-old rice, stir-fry together with some vegetables and optional meat and top with a fried egg for a lusciously tasty and inexpensive quick-fix (also perfect for the lunch box)!
To learn how to make your very own kimchi, click here for my step by step instructions!
Traditional Korean Napa Cabbage Kimchi (Bae-chu Kimchi)
What you'll need...
2 1/2 cups cooked rice, preferably day-old
3/4 cup kimchi, chopped
200g minced pork or beef
1/2 small onion, diced
1 small carrot, diced (optional)
3 tablespoons juice from kimchi
2 tablespoons Korean chili pepper paste (gochujang), to taste
1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
Cooking oil for stir-frying
Salt and pepper
Korean style seaweed (gim)
1. Season meat with salt and pepper and set aside while prepping other ingredients.
2. Heat a lightly oiled large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the minced meat, breaking into smaller clumps while stirring frequently until just browned but not fully cooked. Remove and set aside.
3. Add the onions, carrots, kimchi, juice from kimchi, and gochujang. Stir-fry until the kimchi softens and deepens in color and allow the rich flavors to develop, 5 - 6 minutes.
4. Return the meat to the wok. Add the rice along with a tablespoon of cooking oil, stirring constantly to break apart any clumped up rice and scraping up the brown bits from the pan until everything is well incorporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Garnish with sesame seeds, scallions, seaweed, and top with a sunny-side-up. Serve and enjoy!
Tips: Day-old rice is best for making fried rice. If the rice is hard from being in the fridge, warm it up slightly in the microwave. If you need to make fresh rice, be sure to keep it slightly underdone.
泡菜 130 克（切條狀）
免治豬肉或牛肉 200 克
甘筍 1 小條（切粒）
泡菜汁 3 湯匙
韓式辣醬 2 湯匙
麻油 1/2 湯匙
芝麻 / 韓式紫菜 / 蔥花 / 煎蛋
3. 加入洋蔥、甘筍粒、泡菜、泡菜水和韓式辣醬炒勻，5 - 6 分鐘。
4. 豬肉回鍋。加入飯及約 1 湯匙油炒勻。
[Follow me on Instagram @alvinckl and @alvin.penthousekitchen and check out my Facebook Fan Page!]